Terms of Reference (TOR)
For engaging a consultant
to conduct a mapping and comparative analysis of existing similar platforms in the region.
- Position: The Consultant can be a person / organization/ institution (to conduct a mapping and comparative analysis of existing similar platforms in the region).
- Number: 01
- Organization: Youth Without Borders – Tunisia (YWB) / Innovation for Change MENA Hub
- Duty Station: Home based (Tunisia)
- Duration: 1 month
- Type of Contract: free lance contract
The Innovation for Change network, is a global network of people and organizations who want to connect, partner and learn together to find positive approaches to overcome barriers to closing civic space and restrictions to our basic freedoms of assembly, association and speech.
We are a community-led network inspired by ideas, methods, and technologies from across sectors, to create solutions that drive positive social change. We work together on advocacy, research, network building, education and training, fundraising, digital literacy and technology development.
Our six connected regional hubs are growing in both physical and online spaces across Africa, Central Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and South Asia. A seventh Global Innovation Hub, co-facilitated by Counterpart International and CIVICUS supports project implementation and drives innovation across the entire Network.
The MENA Hub launched its initial activities in October 2016. More than seventy organizations from across the MENA region have been involved in the Incubation phase of Innovation for Change to date. These groups have held meetings in Tunisia, Lebanon, and Egypt to design the MENA hub, and its initial suite of services and activities.
Working closely with an expanded group of supporters and experts including social entrepreneurs and movements, the MENA Hub has developed its vision to create a free and secured civic space, and a mission to build a collaborative, innovative network of activists and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to facilitate the exchange and development of expertise and resources to face the shrinking of civic space.
Activity: Mapping of Sharing Economy Platforms and comparative analysis of existing similar platforms in the MENA region
Youth Without Borders (YWB) in coordination with the Innovation For Change MENA Hub will develop the second generation of the Sharing Economy Platform (ComuniDAS) (http://comunidas.org) for exchanging services across civil society. This platform will be developed to create an inclusive and supportive space composed of civil society organizations from the MENA region that will promote the exchange of services and knowledge among them, strengthening their capacities and encouraging dynamic fundraising that enables civic activism across MENA.
The development of the Sharing Economy Platform will be based on a mapping and comparative analysis of existing similar platforms in the MENA region and an assessment of potential features to be developed within the MENA platforms.
In this phase, YWB is piloting a mapping and an assessment consultancy on Sharing Economy Platforms and comparative analysis of existing similar platforms in the MENA region.
Aim of the mapping
This mapping will give us an idea on the existing platforms in the region, their work, target, challenges faced, needs, contain and potential growth and development.
Also, this mapping will help getting an idea and more information on how to build and manage a platform, how to set the objectives of the platform, the services and the rules and benefits of the members.
During this mapping, the specificities of the MENA region and their needs will be considerate.
The consultant will strictly follow the work plan and the time schedule agreed with YWB in undertaking the contract assignment.
a) The methodology proposed by the consultant will be followed after consultation and agreement with YWB.
b) The consultant will work in close collaboration with YWB
c) The consultant will undertake collection of all the required data/information from various sources, including Government departments, Ministries and other relevant sources;
d) The consultant will undertake review, assessment and judgment of the data/information in close consultation with YWB
e) The consultant will facilitate in presentations and coordination of the stakeholder workshops/consultations organized as per the agreed work schedule;
The mapping process will include
- Conducting a mapping and comparative analysis of existing similar platforms in the MENA region;
- A mapping of CSOs who work on share economy in the MENA region and the projects they are working on;
- Elaboration of a list of MENA CSOs needs in terms of share economy ;
- Comprehensive mapping of case studies and best practices in the development of similar platforms from other regions.
The expected outputs from the mapping
- desk research: inclusive and comprehensive research to identify existing similar platforms in the MENA region;
- set of selection criteria through the desktop research;
- questionnaire to be developed based on the selection criteria;
- list of CSOs in the region using similar platforms;
- Conduct telephone calls and online interviews with CSOs or platform managers;
- Disseminate online surveys through emails, regional CSOs networking platforms and social media;
- Produce 1 report to include the analysis of the findings and recommendations.
The mapping targets
Different groups targeted by this mapping and assessment study as follows:
- Local, national and regional CSOs and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs);
- Independent civil society activists;
- Creators or developers of Platforms;
- Managers of Platforms;
- Think thanks and Startups.
Geographically, the mapping will cover a vast range of civil actors based in the MENA region, this includes but not limited to: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Mauritania, Libya, Sudan, Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait, Yemen, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
The consultant will report to YWB all information and mapping results and outputs.
The mapping time-frame is: November 1st, 2018 to December 1st, 2018.
Duration of the Work
a) The duration of contract shall be for 30 days (extension for a week max can be negotiated).
b) The consultant will work closely with YWB and will submit and share the progress of activities as agreed every week.
a) This mapping is a home-based consultation
b) The consultant will undertake at least 3 meetings in YWB Office.
Required expertise and qualifications
At least 3 years of work experience on consultancy;
Demonstrated background in conducting mapping activities and methodical research;
At least 2 years of experience and/or familiar with sharing Economy Platforms in the MENA region;
Analytical capability to evaluate information and data;
Technical analysis to identify, understand and analyze needs;
Experience on and knowledge working with CSOs at national level and regional and international NGOs, especially using or creating Platforms;
Outstanding verbal, written, communication and organizational skills.
Application Instruction and documents required:
Strictly follow the instructions indicated in the Terms of Reference;
The Applicant shall, in particular, ensure to attach the following:
1. The deadline for application is October 30th, 2018
2. A short proposal indicating the methodology, work plan and timeframe of the consultancy;
3. A financial offer/proposal specifying the total lump sum amount based on the proposed number of consulting days and the consulting fee per working day;
4. A recent CV highlighting past experiences in similar research.
For any additional information, please contact Mr. Ahmed ALLOUCH, YWB representative on (firstname.lastname@example.org ).